Thursday, June 2, 2011

Pictures from Chattanooga National Cemetery

I took these on Memorial day, but I have been debating on whether or not to share them. If you are reading this post, you can probably guess what my decision was... If you have been following my work from the early days of my art pursuit, you already know that I tend to visit the cemetery on a semi-annual basis. I have used it for art, for portraiture, and for still-life shots. Sometimes, I just drive past or through to see all the grave markers. I feel a deep somberness whenever I enter those gates. The residents date from as far back as the Civil War to as recent as young men and women lost in Afghanistan.

This one was my favorite of the day. I processed with an Orton effect for the color feel and soft appearance. I think it best describes the sense I have when standing there. So many lives, so many graves, so many beautiful things in my life because of theirs...

Here are a couple of others. I was trying to get a sense of how many people were actually buried there. These were taken on the back side of the cemetery looking back to the flag on top of the hill. That hill is in the center and ringed with tombs. I will plan to return another day for a few different angles, but for now these will have to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment