Monday, March 7, 2011

Making do with what you have


My goal was to get a beautiful shot of flowing water in a dreamy state. I was hoping to have something low to the water. Maybe on the water's edge with a good view. That would have been great! But...

I didn't get those things. It was raining. I didn't have access to a good view on the water's edge without sliding down a mud bank. I managed to get some flowing water, but not like I was wanting. It was on an ugly bank. Lots of scrubby growth in the water. Overlooking a highway and golf course. Taken from about 20 feet above the water level from a bank. Not exactly what I was looking for...

I decided to go ahead and work with it.  I was not prepared for the angle or the distance. All I had was my 17-55 mm lens. I wished I would have had my 28-135 or 70-300 mm. Either would been preferable to what I had.

For me, this was a bad start to a concept I will pursue in the future. Definitely put it in the learning category. I learned that I need to always carry back up lenses. Probably should do better scouting or location planning. However, I did get a pretty shibby picture of a bird in water, if I do say so myself...


No comments:

Post a Comment